Happy Memorial Day 2024
Jon Brady
2024-05-27 19:25:44 UTC
To the 1% currently active, and those 6% veterans who have made great
sacrifices to defend the United States of America, thank you for doing
what the remaining 93% would not.

Jon Brady, FMF
Sam
2024-05-27 22:00:48 UTC
Post by Jon Brady
To the 1% currently active, and those 6% veterans who have made great
sacrifices to defend the United States of America, thank you for doing
what the remaining 93% would not.
Jon Brady, FMF
It is never called Happy Funeral day or Happy Memorial Day. It is on this
Memorial Day we honor those who died in the service of our country.
J Thorpe
2024-05-28 05:28:12 UTC
On Mon, 27 May 2024 19:25:44 -0000 (UTC), Jon Brady
Post by Jon Brady
To the 1% currently active, and those 6% veterans who have made great
sacrifices to defend the United States of America, thank you for doing
what the remaining 93% would not.
Jon Brady, FMF
"Fleet Marine Force."
It is never called Happy Funeral day or Happy Memorial Day. It is on
this Memorial Day we honor those who died in the service of our
country.
With respect to your decorum, our bunch celebrates those who have
fallen and those who didn't on Memorial day. When the tables are
cleared and the sun is setting, we raise a glass to absent companions
and those who will join them in the future. We'll do the same on
Veteran's Day.

Semper Fi,
1st and 2nd MarDiv.
David LaRue
2024-05-28 07:28:52 UTC
Post by Jon Brady
To the 1% currently active, and those 6% veterans who have made great
sacrifices to defend the United States of America, thank you for doing
what the remaining 93% would not.
Jon Brady, FMF
"Fleet Marine Force."
It is never called Happy Funeral day or Happy Memorial Day. It is on
this Memorial Day we honor those who died in the service of our
country.
With respect to your decorum, our bunch celebrates those who have
fallen and those who didn't on Memorial day. When the tables are
cleared and the sun is setting, we raise a glass to absent companions
and those who will join them in the future. We'll do the same on
Veteran's Day.
Semper Fi,
1st and 2nd MarDiv.
Thank you to all who have served and to those families that have lost
someone who has served that chose to defend our country in some capacity!

I have lived in several states over the years and love seeing those persons
who show that they have served, not just on Memorial Day, but year round.
I try to acknowledge each and every one. I love their responses. They
have earned respect and it is only fair to honor them each and every day.

I have also worked with many veterans over the years. I can attest that
they are amoung the best employees you will ever work with.

Thank you all who support our country!
micky
2024-05-29 11:38:55 UTC
In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 27 May 2024 15:00:48 -0700, Sam
Post by Sam
Post by Jon Brady
To the 1% currently active, and those 6% veterans who have made great
sacrifices to defend the United States of America, thank you for doing
what the remaining 93% would not.
Jon Brady, FMF
It is never called Happy Funeral day or Happy Memorial Day. It is on this
Memorial Day we honor those who died in the service of our country.
Sunday, before this thread appeared, I was at a supermarket that was
selling cakes with red, white, and blue icing embossed Happy Memorial
Day. I noticed and thought it was the wrong thing to say, but there
was no cake representative present to explain it to.
Loran
2024-05-29 15:06:36 UTC
Post by Sam
Post by Jon Brady
To the 1% currently active, and those 6% veterans who have made great
sacrifices to defend the United States of America, thank you for doing
what the remaining 93% would not.
Jon Brady, FMF
It is never called Happy Funeral day or Happy Memorial Day. It is on this
Memorial Day we honor those who died in the service of our country.
Sunday, before this thread appeared, I was at a supermarket that was
selling cakes with red, white, and blue icing embossed Happy Memorial
Day. I noticed and thought it was the wrong thing to say, but there
was no cake representative present to explain it to.
I have always wondered why they don't ice in a nice "buddy poppy" for
the fields of Flanders - that would be respectful and thought-provoking,
given the national memory muscle for history is atrophied to death at
this point.
MassPeekWa
2024-05-29 15:55:34 UTC
Post by Sam
Post by Jon Brady
To the 1% currently active, and those 6% veterans who have made great
sacrifices to defend the United States of America, thank you for doing
what the remaining 93% would not.
Jon Brady, FMF
It is never called Happy Funeral day or Happy Memorial Day. It is on this
Memorial Day we honor those who died in the service of our country.
Sunday, before this thread appeared, I was at a supermarket that was
selling cakes with red, white, and blue icing embossed  Happy Memorial
Day.    I noticed and thought it was the wrong thing to say, but there
was no cake representative present to explain it to.
I have always wondered why they don't ice in a nice "buddy poppy" for
the fields of Flanders - that would be respectful and thought-provoking,
given the national memory muscle for history is atrophied to death at
this point.
Nice lesson!

https://wobm.com/do-you-know-the-story-behind-the-buddy-poppy/

You have seen Veterans out selling the "Buddy Poppies", but do you know
the story behind them? We especially see the Poppies for sale over the
Memorial Day Weekend as we honor those who have given the ultimate
sacrifice.

It began towards the end of World War I. The bloodshed on the fields of
France were represented by the "red" poppy which was seen growing there.
The poem "In Flander's Fields" written by Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae
(Belgium - 1915) described the landscape of the time:

"In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place: and in the sky
The larks still bravely singing fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the dead: Short days ago,
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved: and now we lie
In Flanders fields!

Take up our quarrel with the foe
To you, from failing hands, we throw
The torch: be yours to hold it high
If ye break faith with us who die,
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields"

The poppy was then adopted as a memorial flower for those veterans who
have died and it has become an ongoing fundraiser for the VFW (Veterans
of Foreign War).

The poppy program actually got its start on the other side of the
Atlantic Ocean. Shortly after World War I, Madame E. Guerin, founder of
the American and French Children's League, became concerned that the
free world was forgetting too soon those who died in battle. She began
using the poppy as a memorial from the poem "In Flander's Fields" and
eventually brought the idea to America.

In May 1922, the VFW conducted the first nationwide distribution of
poppies in the United States. This Memorial Day Weekend, if you see a
Veteran selling his "Buddy Poppies" be sure to purchase one and help
area Veterans.

Now you know the history of the Buddy Poppy and you can help "HONOR THE
DEAD BY HELPING THE LIVING".

Read More: Do You Know The Story Behind The Buddy Poppy? |
https://wobm.com/do-you-know-the-story-behind-the-buddy-poppy/?utm_source=tsmclip&utm_medium=referral
micky
2024-05-29 16:45:12 UTC
Post by Sam
Post by Jon Brady
To the 1% currently active, and those 6% veterans who have made great
sacrifices to defend the United States of America, thank you for doing
what the remaining 93% would not.
Jon Brady, FMF
It is never called Happy Funeral day or Happy Memorial Day. It is on this
Memorial Day we honor those who died in the service of our country.
Sunday, before this thread appeared, I was at a supermarket that was
selling cakes with red, white, and blue icing embossed Happy Memorial
Day. I noticed and thought it was the wrong thing to say, but there
was no cake representative present to explain it to.
I have always wondered why they don't ice in a nice "buddy poppy" for
the fields of Flanders - that would be respectful and thought-provoking,
given the national memory muscle for history is atrophied to death at
this point.
At my stop previous to the supermarket, Clark's Ace Hardware, there were
4 or 5 people, volunteers, with a table set up in front of the store's
front door, with literature etc. and giving everyone an imitation poppy
with a wire to attach to a shirt buttonhole or someplace. I have it on
the kitchen table downstairs.
Loran
2024-05-29 18:31:09 UTC
Post by Sam
Post by Jon Brady
[...]
I buy one every year from the local VFW stand.

I think a poppy flower iced cake would be a good seller for them.
a425couple
2024-05-28 15:43:05 UTC
Post by Jon Brady
To the 1% currently active, and those 6% veterans who have made great
sacrifices to defend the United States of America, thank you for doing
what the remaining 93% would not.
Jon Brady, FMF
Thank you for expressing your kind thoughts.

It was a distinct privilege to be able to serve
my wonderful country.